Today is day 14 of the March Slice of Life, a fun daily writing challenge, hosted at “Two Writing Teachers“. hard to believe we are almost half way through the challenge.
I have seen a number of people post lists and I thought about one I have partly made in the past for my children. They are always amazed at the number of times I have moved and where I have moved, throughout my life. I had always thought I would stay close to home, in Toronto. Instead, I moved a lot and have lived in a lot of different places.
1. Winnipeg – I was born here, and my first home was on Cambridge St.
2. Benny Farm, Montreal – vets apartments – where my dad moved to work at the Bank of Montreal (we had a lot of moves because of his job)
3. Monkland Ave, Montreal
4. Rosemere – I loved this house and village. Now it is part of Montreal
5. Orton Park, Scarborough (TO really) This and the next 4 houses, we rented, as my father couldn’t get a mortgage from his bank as he could have been transferred any time. As it was, he worked for the B of Mtl in Toronto until he died in 1972 at age 49. But because we rented, we had to move often when the house was sold.
6., 7. 8, 9. 4 different houses in Scarborough The last house we lived here a year. It was also the house we were living in when my dad died. I had graduated from high school and was working.
10. Last house in Scarborough – My mom bought this house in 1973, her first house and she would stay until 2004, when she moved into downtown Toronto. It was my last home with my family as I went to university.
11. Residence, Carleton University, Ottawa
12. Year 2, another residence
13. year 3- an apartment with roommates
14. Residence, Queen’s University, Teacher’s college, Kingston
15. NWT – my first teaching job – loved it up north.
16. Home to mom’s , for a year while I looked for a job again in Ontario. nothing!
17. School trailer, Rycroft Alberta – Was hired to teach in this small farming community. I went there as a single mom with my 2 1/2 year old son.
18, 19, 20 – Moved to different apartments and trailers during the two years I lived there
21. Wabuman, Alberta – remarried and moved here
22. Cold lake, Alberta – moved here when I was 8 mos. pregnant – that was quite the move. My daughter was born there. Left after 9 months
23, 24. Pontypool, Ontario – lived there almost 20 years. My youngest son was born in Lindsay.We lived out of town and then when I separated, I bought a house in the town of about 1000 people.
24. An apartment, Cambridge, ON – Met my husband in 2000, married in 2002 and moved to Cambridge. Lived in his apt. at first.
25. Our house! Final move – circular tho – started on Cambridge St., ended up in Cambridge – eery almost! lol
There may be 1 or 2 moves in a distant future, but for now we are settled – have been here almost 10 years.