Today is Day 22 of the March Slice of Life – the daily writing challenge hosted at “Two Writing Teachers”
I have received inspiration from so many different slicers. One idea that appealed to me for today was
“10 Things About Me You May Not Know”.
This also connects with the idea (and I wish I could link to the slice I read it on – very powerful!) that we are not just one story, but many and no one really knows all our stories.
So, here are some of my stories:
- I have moved over 30 times in my life, zigzagging across the country several times. I’ve lived in four different provinces and one territory and visited all but one (Newfoundland)
- My children were born in three different provinces/territory: N.W.T, Alberta and Ontario. I also have five step-children – two from my first marriage who I am not in contact with and three from my present husband.
- I met my husband through ICQ in 2000. His screen name was Lionheart – and I love the medieval times. (But I had NO desire to remarry.) We found out we both lived in Quebec and summered in Maine.
- We married two years later when we were 50. My children and his were all involved in the wedding.My sons walked me down the aisle and my daughter was my maid of honour. I finally wore a beautiful bridal gown and felt like a princess.
- The following year, I donated a kidney to my husband. He had been on dialysis for a year and a half by this time – not a quality life.
- I wrote a story about our meeting, marriage and the transplant and Woman’s World published it.
- I had a bad car accident in 1985, when we were moving from Alberta to Ontario. I fell asleep while driving, rolled the car and suffered severe whiplash. But we lived. It took me a year to drive again but I still cannot drive major highways or certain roads. I know it upset my kids when I could not drive them certain places but I knew I would have a panic attack if I tried. I never let myself go to that dark place. (I am lucky that my husband supports me and does most of the driving now.)
- I love twitter and one of the ways I use it is to follow politics. I am a news junkie – I read 3 neswpapers in the morning, watch news throughout the day and comment regularly on twitter.
- I am an orphan – and I know it every day. I lost my Dad when I was 20 and my Mom seven years ago. I miss being a daughter.
- I prefer to buy something that will benefit someone else, even if it costs more. I love thrift shops and places like Goodwill, where the money goes to help others. And you never know what treasures you will find.
What 10 things would you tell about yourself??