This week for “Top Ten Tuesday”, the weekly challenge at “The Broke and Bookish”, the theme relates to books we’ve struggled with in some way.
I’ve chosen to focus on 10+ books that am struggling to finish, for whatever reason. (The first though, I just finished, after a looong wait to do so)
I have a huge TBR pile of books. As well, I have a number of books that I’ve started but just could not finish. Too many other books catch my eye and I end up reading those ones.
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
I finally finished it last month after over a year on the TBR pile.
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. I’m loving the series, but find I can only read this book a bit at a time. With the unheaval in the U.S. it seems too prophetic somehow.
- The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien. It sits on my shelf half read. I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy in my teens but still haven’t finished this one. Maybe seeing the movie stopped me.
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I have started and stopped reading this book so many times. It still awaits.
- The Scorpio Races by Maggie Steefvater. I do enjoy fantasy – but this one got put aside for others.
- Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I started it, stopped, tried watching the movie, but then got stalled on both
- T is for Treason by Sue Grafton. I had read all of the other mystery books in her series, but still waiting to finish T thru X.
- The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldron. I loved the first 2 books and definitely am addicted to the series, but once again am stalled with the rest of the series.
- Casual Vaqcancy by JK Rowling. I loved all of the Harry Potter books but just could not get into this one (or her Galbraith books as well)
- Hollow City and Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs. The first book was challenging but I enjoyed it. The second still awaits to be finished.
I plan to finish all of these – this year!
What books have you struggled to finish.
I wonder if you could give yourself permission not to finish some of them. There are countless amazing books out there, and as you said your TBR pile is big. Why pressure yourself for these particular titles? Instead of “TBR!”, perhaps they could be on a “maybe someday if I feel like it” shelf.
I am getting better about not reading certain books even tho I started them. These were the ones I do want to read – eventually. Thanks for stopping by.
I love The Scorpio Races–it is one of my favorite books. I hope you enjoy if you do decide to finish it. I think there is a great power in not finishing a book you don’t like.
Thanks for that recommendation – I will definitely finish it!