Here we are at the end of 2018. Although I was rushing at the end of the year to finishe my reading challenges, overall I must say 2018 was a successful year in reading. Other areas of my life though were not as successful. It has been a couple of stressful years due to my husband’s issues with his heart and kidney. Reading was my salvation.
So here are some stats:
Number of books read: 459/400
Here is the breakdown by genre:
- Classic – 2
- Diverse books – 39
- Non-Fiction: 18
- Fantasy/scifi – 62
- Fiction: -2
- Graphic novels – 1
- Historical – 3
- Historical romance – 1
- Magical realism – 4
- Memoir – 5
- MG to YA – 19
- Mystery – 8
- Nordic Noir – 1
- Picture books – 163
- Play – 1
- Poetry – 1
- Romance – 152
- Woman’s fiction – 23
By far, I read romances and picture books the most. Fantasy was the third.
I did not track as accurately as I could have this past year. With more challenges I am attempting in 2019, I need to be more accurate. I also need to record where the book was from – TBR, library, ebooks, etc.
Some things I learned from participating in challenges this year:
- I read several genres I normally wouldn’t – graphic novels, Nordic noir. I also read a number of books I wouldn’t normally read either. . Challenges definitely pushed me past my comfort zone in a number of cases.
- I definitely enjoyed the hunt for books, especially looking for books that would satisfy at least 2 challenges.
- I was struggling at the end to finish some challenges. I know I need to plan better and spread the books out more evenly.
- I found it extremely helpful to do a reading round-up at the end of each month, something I had never done before. I plan to continue that in the new year, but to focus more on being sure to expand the genres I read.
- I will definitely record my books better in 2019.
Here’s the status on the challenges I participated in:
Popsugar Reading Challenge (Through Goodreads) 40/40
2018 reading Challenge – 52 Books in 52 Weeks 52/52
Beyond the Bookends 12/12
Monthly Motif Reading Challenge 12/12
Monthly Key Word 12/12
Memoir Reading Challenge 5/5
Modern Mrs. Darcy Reading Challenge 12/12
Swords and Stars Reading Challenge 18/20
The Writers Write Book Reading Challenge 26/26
There were lots of great books read this year. Here are my overall 10 Favourite books of 2018 (as well as 2 Series):
The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley
Bellewether by Susanna Kersley
The Last Chance Matinee by Mariah Stewart
The Sugarhouse Blues by Mariah Stewart
The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
I’ll Be Your Blue Sky by Marisa de Los Santos
Beach House Reunion by Mary Alice Monroe
The Year of Pleasures by Elisabeth Berg
The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald
Where We Found Home by Susan Mallery
Annie Freeman’s Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish
The Magic series by Ilona Andrews
The Court series by Sarah J. Maas
One challenge asks us to list our bookish resolutions for 2019. Check here for mine.
May you have a wonderful New Year with lots of incredible books to read!